When you experience big changes in your life, it’s tempting to want things to go back to “normal”. Your big change could involve your personal life, your health, your career, and/or your business. But what if your normal is a “new normal”. Your new normal could be even better than your old normal and include changes that prevent you from ever going back to your old normal.
Some things that we experience in life change us so profoundly that there is no going back. And that’s a good thing. After I got so sick in the summer of 2015 and came so close to death, people asked my son, Nick, “How is your mom doing?” His answer was, “She is better than normal.” I changed profoundly from going over to the other side and coming back into my body. If I had set my eyes on returning to my old “normal” after this major life event, it wouldn’t work.
So how can you create normalcy after dramatic changes in your life? I have 7 steps to help you find your new sense of normal and stability.
- Discover how to feel much better. How you feel is related to the way you think about life. Simply deciding that you want to feel better sets you on a better feeling path. This path begins with shifting your focus away from unproductive thoughts and pivoting to a higher energy thought. For example, when I came home from the hospital after nearly dying, I woke up in a panic the first few days thinking, “I don’t want to die.” With some effort, I was able to shift my focus to this thought, “How do I want to live?” Then I focused on what I thought would be a quality life. If I only had a short time left, what did I want to do? I immediately felt better and regained a sense of purpose and control. Note: this post included affiliate links if you click on one of them, and purchase, I will earn a commission. I only recommend what I firmly believe in.
- Begin writing in a daily journal. Journal Prompt: What would it take right now to make me feel better? Then, ask, “How can I get there?”
- Open the doorway to experience complete healing. Allow the idea to form that you can heal completely from your experience. You don’t have to see yourself as “damaged goods”. I know that when I lost my brother at a young age, I thought that I would be damaged forever. When I first began to allow the possibility that I could be happy and feel joy, I experienced a turning point and headed back to a feeling of wholeness. When my heart failed, I was initially shocked and frustrated thinking that I had a “bad heart”. I knew on a soul level, my heart was good… and it felt terrible to think otherwise. When I started appreciating my heart for supporting me to this point in life, my attitude change. I was thanking my heart every day for its hard work. Eventually, my heart responded to this appreciation and I experienced a spontaneous healing.
- Greatly improve the quality of your life right now. Work on your bucket list now. Why wait? If you want to improve your golf game, do it now. If you want to see more concerts, do it now. If you want to spend more time with people you love, do it now.
- Create peace of mind. Let go of needing to fight against something. Create acceptance and that is the beginning of positive change. When you accept what is going on and get calm, you have a positive starting point for change. Peace of mind enables clear thought and options that you may not see when you are in a frenzy or fury over something you perceive as unfair. Rather than think about what you are against, think about what you are for.
- Create focused thinking.
It’s difficult to have focused thinking when you have a lot going on. Thoughts get scattered and cloudy. Focus your mind using deep breathing exercises and journal exercises. Reduce noise, so you can clearly see options and weigh decisions. Journal Prompts: What are my goals? What help do I need? What do I need to learn? What action steps do I want to take?
- Take charge of a full-on blitz for your mind, body, and spirit. When you care for your mind, body, and spirit; you create a holistic approach for creating your “new normal”. Cultivate thoughts that work for you. Take care of your body combining the best of modern medicine and alternative approaches that make sense for you and move your body in a way that is fun and inspiring. Meditate and pray on a daily basis to stay connected to your spirituality.
When you practice these 7 steps, you will find your “new normal”.
You may be surprised to see that you are better than ever, living a purposeful and fulfilling life no matter what is going on around you.
If you like this article, you will love this free guide How to Up-Level Your Mindset Challenge
Sheri Kaye Hoff
Coach, Trainer, and Author, Sheri Kaye Hoff, is a Business Coach known for inspiring massive action and a catalyst for personal and business growth, joy, and profits in a way that is fun, relaxing, and fulfilling, Sheri inspires people to do the work they love and make more money. Sheri helps business owners and professionals to relax into success. She uses both spiritual and practical techniques to obliterate blocks and create dramatic change. She is a business, leadership, happiness, and inner game expert. She has overcome nearly dying, and the loss of her brother at an early age. She has made it her life mission to discover the keys to happiness and success and then share them with her clients and community. Learn More About Sheri