What is a limiting belief? Notice what you use after you say the word “because”…. in a sentence. E.G. My business is struggling because of the economy. I can’t lose weight because of my metabolism. I can’t go back to school because I don’t have the money.
You can only receive in your life what you allow in. If a limiting belief is blocking your allowing, whatever goal you have… will take a while to come to you, if ever. A limiting belief will spur sabotaging behavior, as well.
The ultimate experience in obliterating limiting beliefs is to have an instantaneous shift. We often call these paradigm shifts. They are big, dramatic shifts. One moment you think one way, and the next moment you think a completely different ways. These paradigm shifts often occur after a traumatic experience- a death of a loved one, a serious illness, a crisis and so on. But it would be better to not have to experience a traumatic event and go right to the paradigm shift.
How can a person go from not believing he or she can ever lose weight or get healthy to believing that it is possible? Or how can a business owner who has struggled for years begin to believe that she or he can be successful? You can set up your own paradigm shifts with these 5 techniques.
- Do your research… Has anyone ever done what you are trying to do? E.G. #1 2/3 of Americans are overweight. What does that really mean? Well, that means that one-third are at their ideal weight or thin. In a U.S. population of around 319 million. That means around 107 million people are not overweight. Let’s say half are women. So 53.5 million women are not overweight. So when you think about it, you have millions of examples of people who are doing it! Millions of women are maintaining a healthy weight. Talk about blowing up a limiting belief! E.G. #2 The average woman owned biz does 155,000 in revenues (in 2015). However, the number of women-owned businesses with over 10 million in revenue has increased by 57%. These are U.S. figures. There are also 9.4 million women-owned businesses in the U.S with about 1/3 of them being minority women owners. In 2015, 887 women-owned businesses were launched each day. So the message is that you can do it – hundreds, thousands, even millions are doing it. Notice how you feel. I know when I was fighting for my life in the summer of 2015, I thought if I could find one person who spontaneously healed from my same serious heart condition that was brought on by a virus, that I could too. And I did find one… and I did heal spontaneously in three weeks. Beliefs are powerful.
- Keep track… Write down every example in a beautiful journal on a daily basis that shows that you are doing it. Use words like “I am creating a beautiful, healthy body.” “I am building a multi-7 figure business.”
- Recall past successes… Have you ever successfully achieved a goal in the past? Recall one scenario and write it down. Remember the feeling of success. Feel yourself completely immersed in success vibes. E.G. Did you graduate from college? What did it feel like as you walked across the stage and held your diploma? Did you finish a race? A piece of art? Paint a house? You can use any type of example here- big or small. The point is to tap into feeling good. For more ideas, try out my article on How to Up-Level Your Mindset Challenge.
- Do something creative. Color. Paint a picture. Take photos of a landscape. Create collages. Allow yourself to get lost in the creative project. It’s even better if you have never done it before. Be the student. Be the beginner. I am not a painter or an art person, but I have recently discovered that I love to paint and color. I also have always enjoyed taking photos. When I quit worrying about what other people thought of my creations, I noticed that my confidence became stronger in all areas of my life. I felt free to do my own thing.
- Relax and visualize. Relaxation is key with this step. The more you relax, the stronger your visualization will be in shifting your beliefs. Choose soft music if you like. (Note: this post includes affiliate links. If you click a link, and purchase, I will earn a commission) I love Amazon Prime Playlists (ad) and I choose the Stress-Free or Sleep playlist. Close your eyes. Begin with breathing deeply. In and Out. Fill your lungs hold, and exhale. Do this several times. Imagine every muscle in your body completely relaxing. As you relax, form a visual image in your mind of you achieving your goal. First, see yourself as an observer like you were watching you in a movie. Then see yourself actually in the movie. Clearly, see yourself taking the steps that align with your goal. E.G. For a weight loss goal you could imagine yourself waking up, choosing a healthy meal, working out, shopping and buying clothes several sizes smaller or your favorite jeans fitting perfectly. Create the feeling by using all of your senses. E.G. for a business growth visualization. See your ideal lifestyle. See yourself in your office, confidently closing deals, making a difference, loving every minute of your business, and having all of the help and support you need. Practice your visualization every day even if you only have five or ten minutes. Research shows that the brain and body respond to visualization. This is incredibly simple to do, but incredibly effective.
You now have five solid techniques to obliterate any limiting belief. Choose the one or ones that fit your style and start using them right away. Don’t let your limiting beliefs put a shadow on your daily joy.
If you like the idea of eliminating limiting beliefs, you will love my Free Mindset Challenge.
Sheri Kaye Hoff
Coach, Trainer, and Author, Sheri Kaye Hoff, is a Business Coach known for inspiring massive action and a catalyst for personal and business growth, joy, and profits in a way that is fun, relaxing, and fulfilling, Sheri inspires people to do the work they love and make more money. Sheri helps business owners and professionals to relax into success. She uses both spiritual and practical techniques to obliterate blocks and create dramatic change. She is a business, leadership, happiness, and inner game expert. She has overcome nearly dying, and the loss of her brother at an early age. She has made it her life mission to discover the keys to happiness and success and then share them with her clients and community. Learn More About Sheri