How to create what you want this year
Don’t you love the start of a new year? Truth is, we can start a new 12 months on any second of the day. However, a new calendar year does bring a sense of fresh possibilities and an opportunity to evaluate where you are and where you want to go.
As I am writing this, I am reflecting on this year of 2018. This is the year I turn 50 and celebrate my 25th wedding anniversary. Two and half years ago, I wasn’t sure how long I had left on this planet and was fighting for my life. I feel so thankful and grateful to be turning 50.
These past few years have brought to me an accelerated sense of how brief and precious life is. I want to leave nothing undone. Everything I have ever wanted to do or say is on the table. Possibilities seem limitless. At the same time, my heightened sense of values and what is most important keeps me focused on the people I love.
At the end of January, I am heading to the Caribbean with my family and one of my best friends. There is so much to look forward to. I feel happy and full of anticipation.
2018 is also my 11th year of business. I started my coaching and training company in December of 2007.
A week ago, I held my annual end of year webinar with my Inner Circle. During this time, we traditionally celebrate what was great about the year, and honestly look at what was disappointing. We didn’t sweep anything under the rug. This was time devoted to truly feeling and letting go of what didn’t work. We even wrote do-overs. We wrote out what we would have like the outcome to be like it actually happened- in past tense. Then we looked at what we wanted for 2018 with clarity, vision, and focus.
As I did my own work on these exercises, I realized almost breathlessly that I was about five minutes away from my biggest goals. Maybe five minutes is an exaggeration, but virtually everything on my list was within about three months of my reach. I realized that the things that disappointed me were just a couple of small tweaks away from amazing. I was reminded that small differences are big differences. For instance, small differences in savings yield big differences over time. A couple of extra minutes of exercise yields exponential benefits. I also was so thankful for all the great things I could celebrate.
When you go through this process of celebrating, letting go, creating do-overs, and planning; notice how close you are. Rather than being impatient, acknowledge that you may just be a few tweaks away from everything you have set your eyes on. One of my favorite people, Joe Vitale, often says, “The Universe likes speed.” Just as things can take awhile, they can happen fast too. How about allowing some speed for your biggest goals?
Please note, as soon as I say this, I can feel some of you getting super stressed, so let’s say, allow speed in a way that is relaxing, simple, flowing and natural.
Make this year your signature year. Here are ten ways to start off your year in an amazing way.
“Excellence encourages one about life generally; it shows the spiritual wealth of the world.” George Eliot
- Practice excellence every day by giving your best effort.
- Set your priorities and your schedule based on your values.
- Build trust every day, deepen connections with this free training
- Get happier today. Happiness is a habit. Happiness is a lifestyle choice.
- Instead of trying to prevent things from happening to you, focus on what it is that you do want.
- Surround yourself with amazing people. If you are never around people who are smarter, better at something, or achieved more than you have, you slow down your own growth
- Stretch yourself. When you go for comfortable, you miss out on wonderful.
- Use the Magic Formula: High Energy Vibration + Inspired Action = Desired Results
- Be the Inspiration. “If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more, and become more, you are a leader.” — John Quincy Adams
- Be bold. “There is no passion to be found playing small in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living.” Nelson Mandela
Here are some more top tips for success and happiness this year
- Practice a daily journaling habit and write about positive things.
- Be grateful every day- create an appreciation list every day.
- Meditate/pray every day.
- Exercise 6 days a week- doing what you love (this can just be moving your body for five or ten minutes).
- Learn something new every day.
- Track your progress, write down wins that show you are moving forward.
- Give generously and receive generously.
- Play every day. Have fun
- Love every day- including yourself.
- Let go of judgment. Be kind and gentle with yourself and others.
If you liked this, you will love my upcoming 5-day event on this blog. We start Jan 8, 2018. Stop by for inspiration, wisdom, and a chance to win a daily drawing for an Amazon gift card.
Also, note, my business mastermind- Impact starts Jan 17 and you can still get the early bird discount and save over half the cost. Learn more here.
Sheri Kaye Hoff, Ph.D.
Coach, Trainer, and Author, Dr. Sheri Kaye Hoff, Ph.D. is a Business and Life Coach known for inspiring massive action and a catalyst for personal and business growth, joy, and profits in a way that is fun, relaxing, and fulfilling, Sheri inspires people to the do work they love and make more money. Sheri helps business owners and professionals to relax into success. She uses both spiritual and practical techniques to obliterate blocks and create dramatic change. She is a business, leadership, happiness, and inner game expert. She has overcome nearly dying, and the loss of her brother at an early age. She has made it her life mission to discover the keys to happiness and success and then share them with her clients and community.